Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Roanoke
If you purchased your first home or you’re getting ready to, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for you and yours. You’re probably thinking about how you can individualize your house with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you get too caught up in home improvements, make sure you give thought to home security too. Keeping your loved ones shielded from harm should always be a leading priority, and we’ll show you how with our safety tips for new homeowners in Roanoke.
Conduct a safety review of your new Roanoke property
Now that you’re contemplating safety, find out what your new home has in place. To begin, make certain you have working smoke detectors. Inspect all of them and change batteries if necessary. Are carbon monoxide detectors on site? Do you need a water sensor in the cellar? This is also an excellent time to update door locks and investigate all locks on windows. Go through every space and get to know your property.
Smart security tips for your Roanoke home
Once you’ve completed your preliminary investigation of safety devices and locking systems, you should look into improving your property’s safety. Begin with these security tips for your home in Roanoke.
- Invest in a modern home security system. One of the top things a new homeowner in Roanoke can do is integrate a home security system. Today’s wireless technology lets you keep an eye on your home even when you’re away. You are able to scan real-time video footage, control locking systems, and even communicate with guests on your front porch right from your mobile device. You can customize with amazing security features like surveillance cameras and monitored fire alarms.
- Update exterior lights. Outdoor lights with motion detection are a smart strategy in dissuading prospective intruders. You can even integrate them with outdoor cameras. When a motion sensor is triggered, it can tell your surveillance to begin recording.
- Take care of your yard. Do you have a clear sightline of your property through your windows? Are there oversized shrubs and trees impeeding the view? Remove likely hiding spots for prowlers by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will be grateful for it also.
- Get to know folks in your area. One more thing about your neighbors, get familiar with them. If you are friendly with people around you, there’s a greater probability they’ll let you know if they see suspicious activity. You might also connect to your area’s social media presence if one is established.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you install an advanced smart home, you can make it appear like you’re inside by illuminating smart lighting at scheduled moments. This is a fantastic option when you’re at work or on vacation.